The aim of the Department of Dermatology is to provide outstanding dermatology care in a cost effective manner to all patients in dermatology clinic.
The dermatology department offers procedures & services both investigative & curative, pertaining to general dermatology, cosmetic dermatology & venerelogy. Comprehensive consultation and treatment is provided for both (outpatients) and (inpatients) covering all dermatological conditions including
- General dermatology
- Sexually transmitted disease
In addition to basic services like skin biopsies/excisions, scrapings & smears (fungal; AFB/TZank smears; urethral smears etc.) and chemical cauterisation (with podophyllin), the department also offers other specialised services
- Radiofrequency surgery – A simple rapid office procedure, cost effective, completed in 1 setting with minimal bleeding, minimal scaring and fast healing.Common Clinical Applications are: Warts, Acrochoradans, Molluscum Contagiosum, Milia, Senile Lentigens, Mucosal Cysts, Granuloma Pyogenicum and adnexal lesions like Syringomas and Adenoma Sebaceum.
- Intralesional Therapy - A Mode of Topical Drug Therapy where the barrier zone is bypassed by estblishment of a sub-epidermal depot of intralesional injection. Common indications are (1) Inflamatory lesions like nodular cystic acne, alopecia areata, DLE, Prurigo, Nodularis (2) Infiltrative Lesions like keloids, hypertrophy scars, pretibial myxedema
- Chemical Cauterization - Important therapeutic modality done alone or with electro surgery using agents like phenol, silver nitrate, podophyllin and trichloracetic acid. Common Indications are Condyloma Acuminata, Planter warts, Keratosis.
- Cryo-Surgery - Thereapeutic Branch in which local freezing is used for control destruction or removal of living tissues. Common Cryongens are Nitrous Oxide (-75 C), Liquid Nitrogent ( -196 C) Common Indications are Acne Scars,Warts, Molluscum, Keratosis, Granuloma Pyogenicum.
- Chemical Peeling or Chemo Exfoliation is an application of 1 or more chemical agents to the skin so as to cause controlled chemical burns resulting in destructin of a portion of epidermis /dermis.Commonly used agents are Wrichloracetic acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid (Glycolic acid), Beta Hydroxy Acid (Salicylic acid), Phenol, Carbon Dioxide snow/slush, liquid nitrogen spray.
- Microdermabrasion - One of the superficial resurfacing techniques consisting of mechanical abrasion of the skin surface with pressurized a stream of aluminum oxide (A12O3) crystals so as to achieve superficial skin wounding, the wound is allowed to heal by secondary intention with partial re-epithelialization and remodeling of dermal collegen. IT is a popular procedure due to its simplicity and minimal or no side effects.Common Indications are facial rejuvenation for rough texture, dyschromia, actinic damage, superficial rhytides, Comedonal non-linflammatory acne. Multiple sittings are needed depending on the type of lesion, location and response.
- Patch Testing - A series of Antigens are applied on the patients back for a period of 48 hours to test the different sources of allergy. Used for patients of recurrent urticaria, chronic urticaria and all such cases where the source of allergy could not be determined by history.
- Laser Hair Removal
- Laser Treatment for moles, warts, haemagnioma etc.
- All Types of Medical treatment for hair and nail disorders.